Saturday, June 26, 2010

Prairie Girl in the Big City (part 2)

So. Three days in Toronto. On my own. What to do?

I went walking.
I walked through parks, along the waterfront, through some nice neighbourhoods and some not as nice neighbourhoods, past historic buildings, into beautiful churches, up into a belfry (how cool is that?!), to some fun little shops and to some rather large stores.
I walked on one beautifully sunny day, on a couple of cloudy days, in a light rain and in the pouring rain.
And when Jonny was done work, we'd go walking together - to a fun little waterfront patio, along the docks looking at boats, on the hunt for an ice cream shop, to a neat little restaurant in the rain and underground to Union Station for some "people watching".

My feet and legs were killing me!

I met some nice people and saw some nice places and before too long I'd formed a new opinion about Toronto: it's not so bad. In fact, it felt a lot like home. Only bigger.


Here's the staircase up to the belfry - tight space!



The bells (I couldn't walk all the way up there and not take a picture of them, no matter how poor the lighting was):



The architecturally beautiful Union Station:
(Our hotel was actually only a short walk from Union Station, but I couldn't bring myself to use the subway for a few reasons:
1 - I like to see the sky above me
2 - How else would I have seen so many things?
3 - I was totally afraid I'd get lost.)



A small piece of one of many parks I walked through:



The view from our hotel room (excuse the dirty window, please!):
For those of you who don't know, that's the CN Tower. Which I did not go up.


So you can fully appreciate my sore feet, here's a map of where I went. The purple is me, each shade a different day. The blue is when I was with Jonny:

No comments: