Sunday, February 28, 2010

Favorite of the month: February

This month's favorite belongs to my jasmine flower.
I love this plant. Mine isn't much to look at, (I hope that will change with some growth) but it's the flowers that draw me to it. In particular, the scent. These little flowers have such a beautiful scent to them. It just makes me smile!
It bloomed for me this month for the first time since I last blogged about this plant (close to a year ago!). I was so excited to see this bloom and to see 4 more buds on the plant. I was rather relieved because I had thought I was killing it - it hasn't looked too good lately. But after this one flower bloomed and dropped, the others withered up and died. I was so disappointed! And then the leaves started drying up and I thought it was all over for my pretty plant.
Now, I will admit that the thought of buying a new plant briefly crossed my mind. But I'm no quitter! So instead I pulled off the dead leaves. I pulled out my ultra high tech gardening tool (a fork) and loosened the soil a little. I talked to it while no one was around: "You can do it. Come on, Jasmine."
Well guess what? My pretty jasmine is growing new leaves! No new flower buds yet, but the leaves are a good sign and I'll take it.
So here's to new growth! To not giving up! To pulling out your fork and loosening the soil!




1 comment:

Jenn said...

I can just hear you saying your sweet nothings to your plant. :)